Finding cheap flights to Thailand and Vietnam
Posted on 2010-08-09 00:00:00 by PSmith
Asia | Finding cheap flights to Thailand and Vietnam As flight prices drop and long-haul destinations become more accessible, an increasing number of Western tourists are discovering the delights of South East Asia. If you’re keen to explore Vietnam’s World Heritage sites or relax on Thailand’s pristine beaches, here’s how to find deals on flights that won’t break the bank.
1. Timing is everything: To take advantage of the best offers, make sure you book your flights early. Prices tend to be cheapest three to six months in advance, particularly for travel within peak times. If you’ve left it until the last minute, some airlines do offer late deals – but you may need to be flexible on which airport you fly in to.
2. Compare prices: The key to finding cut-price flights is to shop around. Use price comparison sites to get an idea of the deals out there, as well as going direct to individual airlines. Bear in mind that many booking sites offer to automatically alert you when flight prices to your destination drop – an invaluable tool if you’re prepared to bide your time.
3. Stay flexible: If you compromise on flight time or divert en-route to your Asian destination, you may be able to secure a cheaper ticket. You could also consider searching for flights to airports within a wider radius of your chosen destination, or flying from an airport a little further from home. Finally, remaining flexible with your dates should help you to find the lowest flight prices.
4. Compare like with like: Don’t be blinded be headline fares – some airlines will reel you in with the promise of a great deal and then add substantial taxes and surcharges to your bill at the last minute. It’s also worth bearing in mind that price isn’t the only factor when it comes to flying. Some airlines are more comfortable than others, as well as offering better food, in-flight entertainment facilities and service.
5. Don’t dismiss package holidays: There are plenty of companies offering package holidays to South East Asia, with accommodation, food and even entertainment included in the price along with the flight. Even if you’re a keen independent traveller, package deals can provide the basis for a fantastic budget holiday - so keep you options open if you’re keen to find the best deals.
DialAFlight offer flights to Bangkok from £365 (flying from Heathrow and including taxes).